Looking for a ‘lost’ life insurance policy?

Trying to find lost life insurance policies can be a headache for people at a time when you don’t need more stress.

The Financial Services Council (FSC) is able to assist you in finding a ‘lost’ life insurance policy by contacting our life insurance members and asking them to check their records and contact you if they have a policy or other relevant information.

NOTE: If there is a policy the insurer will revert directly to the enquirer, not back through the FSC. We will be unable to provide any information after we've sent through the request.

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with superannuation or general insurance enquiries. For superannuation see below and for general insurance (home, contents, boats, motor cars etc) contact the Insurance Council of Australia on General enquiries: 02 9253 5100 or 1300 728 228 from 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

For us to help you, please copy the text below into an email (including the 8 questions PLUS consent wording), fill in the blanks and email it to us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  1. Name of the person enquiring about the policy (your full name):
  2. Your contact phone number:
  3. Your email address:
  4. Full name/s of the person/s insured under the policy:
  5. The date/s of birth of the person/s insured: 
  6. The date of death of the person/s insured:
  7. The last known address/es:
  8. Your relationship to the insured person/s:


I give my consent

I consent to the Financial Services Council forwarding the above information to their life insurance members to help find any life insurance policies insuring the people named above.

I understand that the life insurer may have to confirm that I am entitled to the information sought, including whether I am the person insured, a beneficiary, executor, trustee or guardian of the insured person.


If your enquiry needs to include superannuation or insurance within superannuation

Contact the last-known employer

The FSC cannot facilitate this type of search. We suggest that you contact the last known employer and ask them which superannuation fund and which insurer these products may have been administered by.  You should then contact the superannuation fund directly.

Search the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website

When you can show the Australian Tax Office that you are entitled to the information (again by provision of documentation) it should be able to provide you with the person’s tax file number (TFN) which will enable you to search for unclaimed super on the unclaimed super registers page here. There’s also ATO-held super money and you can search here.

If you already have the TFN of the policy holder you can go straight to the link and search.


If you’re affected by the Australian bushfires, your Life Insurer may have relief assistance for you and your loved ones. Read more below:

TAL: Supporting the victims and volunteers of the bushfires

AMP: Pro bono advice for Australians affected by bushfires

AMP: Support for those affected by bushfires

MLC Life Insurance announces further premium relief for customers impacted by Australian bushfires

Zurich’s immediate bushfire response

AIA and CommInsure Life announce QLD and NSW Bushfire Assistance Package


For more RESOURCES, see: Finding lost life policies - Resources.